Pink level strategies and texts utilize mostly 3-sound words using only short vowels, such as
Many TRI teachers will have a student for whom they mostly limit Word Work activities and Guided Oral Reading texts to Pink level words. During this brief instructional window, the mostly controlled word choices help the student more rapidly crack the code. Specifically, at the Pink Level, a student will:
- develop an understanding of alphabetic principle,
- gain skill at 3-sound segmenting and blending, and
- acquire basic letter-sound knowledge (single consonants, short vowels, & consonant digraphs).
For Guided Oral Reading, TRI teachers select Pink-friendly texts among
- mostly decodable texts such as starfall.com's Zac the Rat
- predictable texts, such as The Cat on the Mat
- more natural texts, such as I Like to Win!
Below are typical Word Work strategies that can be used at the Pink level: